If you are looking for a dog for your family that is kind, patient, smart, and is good with kids and visitors, then a Labrador Retriever is going to be a good choice for you and your family. Since 1991, Labrador Retrievers have been ranked the number 1 most popular dog breed by the American Kennel Club.
What is the #1 Family Dog?
The Labrador Retriever is a great dog for a family of any size. If you are looking for a dog who can run and play with kids and even take evening runs with adults, then a Labrador retriever is going to be a great choice. This dog is going to be extremely well for families who are active. Not only do they have high energy and love to have fun, but they are still family dogs who love spending quality time whether it is morning snuggles or sitting outside with the family watching the sun go down.
Are Labradors a Good Dog to Have Around Children?
Overall, Laborers are good to have around children. They are very easy to train, and they are not generally aggressive. This means you will be able to teach them skills and train them that will let them be good champions for your children.
If you are a family with older children, then Labradors will be especially good for you because older children have a lot of energy, and they will be able to run around with a Labrador and not be overtaken by the size or weight. This will be a good fit because the dog will be able to run around and get exercise while your children are being active.
Labradors can also be a good dog for younger children, but you need to take the time to train your dog and teach them skills, so they know how to act around children. The same goes for your children, you need to teach them how to properly take care of and treat a dog. Always be cautious of the interactions between the children and your dog so you can see if the younger children are safe.
Can Labradors Retrievers Be Aggressive?
No matter what breed of dog you are dealing with, they all have the capacity to be aggressive. It all depends on how you train them and treat them. Overall, Labradors are not known to be aggressive dogs. If you notice aggressive behaviors in your Labrador then there is a good chance they came from an abusive home before they were housed with you.
If you do rescue a Labrador from an abusive home, they are more likely to be aggressive due to the fact of how they were treated in the home before yours but the good news is that these dogs are people pleasers and very smart learners. That means if they are a puppy or even if they come from an abusive home, there is a very high chance that your Labrador is going to adapt quickly to your home and the rules of your home.
There have been incidents where Labradors get so excited that they jump on children and according to their size and their strength, they have hurt children before. That is why it is extremely important to train your dog, so they know how to act towards younger children. It is always important to teach your Labrador to not jump on people. That will help with future visitors coming into your home and smaller children in your household.
It is always a good idea to teach your dog healthy habits such as no jumping, growling, and biting. By training your dog, you’re creating a safe environment for your pet and your family. On the other hand, you need to teach your children the proper way to handle a dog. For example, teach them how to hold puppies and also share with them how pulling their legs or ears is inappropriate.
You can also raise your dog to be good around children by teaching Labradors to walk alongside you while on a leash. By doing this, you will help the dog walk with the child instead of running and dragging the child along where they could get hurt.
Do Labradors Retrievers Make Good Family Pets?
There are many pros and cons when it comes to finding the best dog breed for your family especially if you have a home full of children. It is important to find a dog that will be a good fit for all the people in your household.
Labradors have pros and cons as to why they are best for family pets. Here are some things for you to consider when wanting to get a Labrador
- Health: Labradors are generally really healthy but there are some hereditary health conditions to be aware of. When taking your Labrador Retriever to the vet it is important to do checkups on Hip Evaluation, Elbow Evaluation, Ophthalmologist Evaluation, and get an Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC) DNA Test.
- Good temperaments: These dogs have a wonderful temperament which makes them a good pet for many different households. They are friendly dogs, and they are eager to adapt to any situation. They also learn quickly because of how smart they are. They are also very good at being service or therapy dogs. These are one of the very few dogs that can learn and adapt quickly in any situation and be helpful for you and your family.
- Good with children: there are many reasons why the Labrador retriever has remained so consistently popular, but one of the main reasons is that they are good with children. Whether you are getting a first family pet and have young children or toddlers or you are bringing in a dog to help teach older kids’ responsibility, the Labrador is an ideal option for kids no matter what their age is. It is important to remind parents of pets to never leave dogs and young children alone unattended, and you should always teach children to respect puppies and their personal space.
- Higher energy dogs: Labrador Retrievers have a lot of energy! They need a lot of exercises to get rid of all the energy that they have. With the energy these dogs have, it is important to keep them active by taking them to do things like fishing, hunting, hiking, swimming, and competitive sports. If you would like this dog, it is important that you have a more physical lifestyle that can meet the needs of your dog,
- They need a lot of space: Labrador Retrievers are a large dog breed and because of that, they need extra space to move around. That means if you live in an apartment and do not have a lot of space, this dog might not be the best option for you. These types of dogs need a large place to run and play. That means if you have a fenced-in yard, a large farm, or if you have access to a dog park that you can take your pet to.
- They shed a lot: because these dogs have double coats, they do a lot of shedding. This is seasonal and these dogs tend to shed in the spring and fall. If it is important to you to have a tidy dog that makes very little mess, then you might want to consider getting this dog because they tend to lose a lot of hair when the seasons change. This can also be a problem for someone who has allergies to dogs. Due to a large amount of fur that comes off the dog, it can be troublesome for someone who has dog allergies.
Getting a Labrador retriever is a great choice if you are a dog lover and are looking for a good companion for your family. If you are looking for a loyal family dog that is not only good to its owners but children, then getting this breed of dog is a good choice for you.
It is smart to get the dog during a time when a lot of the family members are home-like during summer vacation. By doing this, you are given a great chance to help teach and train the dog exactly how you want to with the help of the rest of the family. This also helps the dog to learn how to respect and listen to all the family members
Not only will these dogs sit with you in the morning while you are reading your paper, but they are highly active and would love to join you during your daily plans. Labrador Retrievers are great family pets due to their immense loyalty, even temperaments, and quick ability to adapt to any situation. People of all ages in your family will love having a Labrador in the home.